This tagline has been around for like forever, it’s a synonym for show me your friends and I will tell you who you are.
One of my major goals for 2018, is making new friends, this came as result of reviewing the past year and really coming to the realization that I don’t have many friends, especially in my sphere of influence.
After a long hard session of soul-searching and questioning, I realized how difficult it was for me to write a list of friends. Though I am surrounded by many acquaintances, at best that’s what they are. One major reason I found was that I have stayed too long and too much in my comfort zone. I don’t socialize.
For someone like me who is in the face of people frequently as a result of my assignment, yet I don’t socialize. The world is changing per second, with the advent of various social media platforms it is becoming a tedious effort to be present and be around people, except for social functions when you get to meet and mingle, but it still doesn’t excuse one from really making the effort to create and make relationship that will impact and influence one to do better and be better in life and in pursuit of purpose.
The question now is how do you build the relationship that leads to opportunities or increases your net worth? As I asked myself this personal question, I was able to come up with a few answers that I intend to follow deliberately in other to see a change and expand my circle of influence.
Here are a few tips,
- Find Events that best fit your profession or passion, for me what that translates into is that as much as possible I need to attend musical events or any events that center around the creative cloud that I am passionate about. When you put yourself out there, you are able to find people who are also willing to connect.
- Social Media Network- A lot of lives have been changed as a result of the various social media avenues, it is therefore important to discover people who are willing to engage on social media. connect with people groups and forums, find someone who is very well known in your field or profession check out what they are doing.
- It is very expedient to find those who are doing great at you are doing, who have become experts so you are able to glean and garner information to become a better version of You.
- Show yourself friendly- If you are seeking to make new relationship you must also show yourself friendly. You can’t give what you don’t have, be strategic, create solid relationships to support you and your aspirations.
- Keep in touch with Old friends- in as much as you desire to expand your circle of influence it is important to nurture existing relationships by keeping in touch every now and then.
- Set aside time- there is this saying that love is spelled in the form of T.I.M.E. In other words, you must be willing to set aside time for the building and nurturing of those relationships of trust and be willing to help others as you also ask help when you need it.
The bottom line is that you put yourself out there strategically in order to draw the kind of people that will trigger you to greater and better, in every area of life.
Do you have more tips on how to build new relationship or friendship apart from the lists above? I will love to read some of your thoughts as well. Do share them.