Let’s face it, Nobody gets everything they want, there will always be something after you’ve got something, then you want something else and then another one, and another one, the cycle goes on.
After an entire lifetime of trying to filling my life with beautiful things, I am learning to simply be content with what I have and where I am, even in my pursuit for greater and better. I must confess that more often than not I still slip into that “wanting” mode.
In a bid to find contentment for myself, I have discovered that my viewpoint about who I am and my perspectives to life must shift. I have discovered that contentment refers to an inward satisfaction that is only achieved by having the right attitude to oneself, to life and everything else.
To be content means having a state of heart that is unaffected by outward circumstances. Did I hear you chuckle? Easier said than done, right?
So how can one have a state of heart, that is devoid of outside happenings or circumstances? Writing this post a scripture readily comes to mind:
1 Timothy 6:6-12:
But godliness with contentment is great gain…
- GRATITUDE- Be grateful, gratitude is one of the attitudes of a heart of content. There is so much to be grateful for in life. so instead of focusing on those things that we don’t have, acknowledge your blessings and the one who daily loads you with the blessings. Doing this shifts your focus away from the “have-nots”.
Tip: You can create a journal for documenting those things you are grateful for.
2. STOP THE COMPARISON- Comparison, they say is the thief of joy. when we start comparing our journey with others, we rob ourselves the joy of savouring every moment of the journey, the good the bad and the in-betweens. I have been a victim of comparison that it weighs so heavy on the mind because of the havoc it’s wrecking in the lives of people today. many people are on the sideline of life watching other people full purpose while they miss out on their calling. I speak as one who has been there and done that.
These days I intentionally and deliberately pause and take a break from the social media, to just be in tune with God and my purpose, because you will agree with me to a great extent, that the social media is one of the weapons being used for comparison consciously or unconsciously.
3. PUT GOD FIRST- The key to personal fulfilment is to honour God and centre our dreams and desires around him. Just like Israel Houghton song’ Jesus be the centre. From the beginning to the end, all of life’s endeavour will always be about bringing glory to God, this is the core of our Christian Faith.
Only if we put God first, then we can be content.
4. LIVE LIFE PASSIONATELY: What are you passionate about? what makes you jump out of bed or rush home after work just so you can devote time what is that thing that you enjoy doing even when you are not getting paid for? whatever it is, in the words of Nike, “just do it”. do it as if your entire life depends on it.
Jesus said I have come that you may have life, and life more abundantly. In other words, God’s plan is for us to have a full life, no one living a full life has no room for discontentment.
5. PRAY FOR CONTENTMENT; Everything boils down to prayer because prayer changes things.
Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door will be opened to you.
Have you ever had to struggle with discontentment? how did you handle it?
©OBA2018. All rights reserved.